Enabling Superior Lighting Solutions with AmbientFiber®
Radial-emitting illumination fibers with optimum design freedom for uniform lighting effects in product design or for ambient lighting. Simple to install and offering considerable freedom for product designers.
- Homogeneous light distribution
- Customer-specific cable types are possible
- Various fiber cross-sections for optimal bending and lighting properties
- Small bending radiuses
- No photodarkening
- Small fiber core diameters for especially fine lines
- Large fiber core diameters for more intense effects
- Any color can be shown (depending on light source)
Range of products and services
- Core diameter 100 µm – 1,250 µm
- Outer diameter from 400 µm
- Individual geometries for outer material (round, flat, etc.)
- NA 0.37 to 0.49
- Operating temperature −40 °C to +150 °C
- Cooperation during pre-development and the final product design phase
- Product modifications and customer-specific solutions
- Ultrapure Fused Silica
- Suitable for RGB LEDs, laser light sources, and many more
- Can be laid underwater
- Chemical resistance
- Jacket material: polyamide, ETFE, PVC, PA, others on request
- Cut to length
- End face processing
- Assembly options (connectors, couplers, interfaces)
- Design or assembly of light launching system
- Biocompatible materials on request
Fields of use
- Automotive (interior and exterior lighting)
- Transportation (rolling stock, maritime applications, aerospace)
- Architecture (pool and spa lighting, exterior building lighting)
- Security, safety, and emergency exit lighting
- Electrical appliances
How can product design be utilized as a differentiator in competitive markets? By using filigree lines of light in the final product, for example. To achieve this, BU Fiber Optics has developed an optical fiber in-house that emits light in all directions: this fiber creates an almost unlimited number of opportunities for ambient lighting and new approaches to product design.
AmbientFiber is characterized by its uniform emission of light at 360° across the entire length of the fiber – in contrast to a more punctiform LED illumination. The core of the optical fiber is Fused Silica, which works to prevent any discoloration effects or undesirable reactions to incident sunlight.
AmbientFiber can be used in a huge range of applications: in the automotive industry (interior and exterior lighting), in interior and emergency lighting applications for aircraft, ocean-going vessels and trains, in the field of automation and drives as a visual feedback system, and for building illumination in architecture and infrastructure. In the field of electrical appliances, AmbientFiber could be used to develop light-effect cables for electrical devices or illuminated charging cables. Interesting product developments are also possible in the wearables industry, which manufactures intelligent textiles and accessories that include illuminated hi-vis vests, footwear, and many more. When used with miniaturized sensors, AmbientFiber is also capable of indicating changes in temperature, pressure or humidity.
What is your AmbientFiber application?
Please contact us for further information. We look forward to your inquiry.
Europe, Africa, and Asia (excl. China)
Phone +49 36764-81-100
Phone +86 519-8988-7783
North and South America
Phone +1 757-258-4805